Need a sweet treat but short on time? You’re going to love this easy 3 ingredient pineapple dump cake!
These days it feels like our family is always going a mile a minute. My boys are like little Energizer Bunnies from the moment they wake up until they finally go to bed, so one of the things that very quickly went out the window as a mom was elaborate meals.
I used to love spending hours making cookies and cakes from scratch, but guess what: I love my sanity and extra time more 😉 I’ve completely fallen in love with easy recipes that are fast, cheap and simple, and this easy pineapple dump cake recipe is exactly that!
This delicious pineapple dump cake tastes like you spent hours making it from scratch, but it’s truly the easiest cake recipe. It’s a great recipe to have on hand as a last minute dessert when unexpected company drops by (or if you just forget to make something before a party). The flavors remind me a lot of pineapple upside down cake!
Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in Full disclosure here.
Ingredients Needed for Pineapple Dump Cake
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe that requires less than 5 minutes of prep time:
Canned pineapple tidbits
Yellow cake mix
That’s literally it! If you don’t have the pineapple tidbits you can substitute crushed pineapple too. You’ll want two cans of whatever you choose. If you prefer you can also use fresh pineapple chunks or rings, but you’ll want to either chop them up smaller or run through a food processor.
You can also use white cake mix or angel food cake mix instead of yellow cake mix. The flavor profile will be pretty similar.
I also love that other than the butter, the other 2 ingredients are shelf stable, meaning you can snag these items when they go on sale and have on hand!
For exact measurements of each ingredient and full directions, check out the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
How to Make a 3 Ingredient Pineapple Dump Cake
This recipe might look simple, but the result is such an impressive dessert you’ll be floored! Here’s how to make this easy pineapple dump cake recipe.
Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Spray the bottom of a casserole dish, baking dish or cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Pour both cans of crushed pineapple (with juice) into the baking pan. Next, pour the dry cake mix over the top of the pineapple, making sure it’s evenly distributed.
Drizzle the melted butter evenly over everything in the dish.
Cook the pineapple dump cake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, or until the pineapple begins to bubble up. Remove and allow to cool for about 20 minutes before serving. The pineapple and pineapple juice will get surprisingly hot, so keep that in mind if you are serving young kids.
Serve on its own, or with vanilla ice cream, marshmallow ice cream or whipped cream (this strawberry flavored whipped cream is a yummy choice!), or a yummy cocktail for the adults (this blue mojito is my current fave).
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
How to Customize This Easy Recipe
While this recipe was written to taste amazing with just 3 ingredients, if you’d like you can add a few other items to make it even better:
- Crumble brown sugar on the top after adding the melted butter
- Add chopped pecans or walnuts before putting it into the oven
- Don’t have a box of cake mix? Crush vanilla wafers to substitute for it!
- Love different fruits? For a different type of easy dump cake recipe, swap out the pineapple:
- Substitute the cans of pineapple for cans of cherry pie filling to make a cherry dump cake
- Use cans of blueberry pie filling for blueberry dump cake
- Try apple pie filling and adding a little apple pie spice to make a delicious apple dump cake, or cans of peaches for a peach dump cake.
This recipe tastes great hot, warm or just above room temperature, so be sure to heat it up a little bit in the microwave if reheating leftovers. Don’t forget the big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
More Yummy Recipes:
- 2 cans pineapple tidbits
- 1 box dry yellow cake mix
- 1 stick of melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Spray the bottom of a casserole dish, baking dish or cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour both cans of crushed pineapple (with juice) into the baking pan. Next, pour the dry cake mix over the top of the pineapple, making sure it’s evenly distributed.
- Drizzle the melted butter evenly over everything in the dish.
- Cook the pineapple dump cake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, or until the pineapple begins to bubble up. Remove and allow to cool for about 20 minutes before serving. The pineapple and pineapple juice will get surprisingly hot, so keep that in mind if you are serving young kids.
- Serve on its own, or with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- If desired, lightly dust the top of the cake before placing in the oven with brown sugar, or add chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Simple Pineapple Dump Cake Recipe
I hope this delicious cake becomes a family favorite for your family, too. This is one of the easiest desserts we’ve ever made! This quick dessert is perfect for special occasions or really any time.
If you love fruit desserts, be sure to also check out this amazing strawberry blueberry pie, too!
Did you try this recipe? Let me know with a comment and rating! 🤩 Your 5 star ratings and sweet comments help to support our family business, and help other readers as they create their dishes, too! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @funfamilymeals if you try this!