Peeps Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect treat, and make these Easter Rice Krispie treats so easy and fun for the kids! With bright, rainbow colors from pink, yellow, blue, and purple Peeps marshmallow bunnies and chicks, you’ll love how crazy simple these are to make.
Our family loves a good seasonal recipe, and one that always reminds me of my own childhood is Rice Krispie Treats. Marshmallows make everything more fun!
My kids started helping in the kitchen early, and many of the recipes that I wanted to make traditionally I knew they weren’t ready for. Rice Krispie Treats was one of those.
Typically this delicious marshmallow dessert requires melting butter on the stovetop, but not this recipe! Everything melts together in the oven to create a pan of brightly colored marshmallow cereal bars.
Marshmallow Peeps are a staple of Easter. Almost all of us receive packages of those cute chicks and bunnies in Easter baskets, but to be honest… I’ve never been a fan of them by themselves. However, I LOVE this recipe.
This is the easiest and best Easter rice Krispie treats recipe out there. Use pink, yellow, blue, and purple Peeps marshmallow bunnies and chicks instead of mini marshmallows to make these pretty multi-colored Peeps Rice Krispie Treats.
These gooey marshmallow cereal bars are so colorful and fun. If you’d like, add some extra sprinkles or some candies (like Easter M&M’s!) while you’re stirring to make these pop even more.
Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in Full disclosure here.
Why You’ll Love Easter Rice Krispie Treats with Peeps
These fun Rice Krispie squares are so fun with the bright colors! They’re loaded with marshmallows and sprinkles, and as everything melts together my oldest swears they become “unicorn colors.”
Personally, I love this recipe because it’s so easy that my preschoolers can do 90% of the steps themselves! I just lay everything out for them, and they completely assemble the treats. I of course handle the oven, but everything else is all them.
Peeps Rice Krispie Treats are a great snack for school parties, Easter brunch or just to have on hand as a spring dessert because why not??
This recipe goes great with a healthy pound cake or pineapple dump cake for Easter.
Ingredients Needed for Peeps Rice Krispie Treats
Again, this isn’t your mama’s Rice Krispie Treats recipe! I created this recipe so that my kids could really own the steps, and also to find a creative way to use Easter Peeps!
Easter Peeps: you will need a 4 packages of Peeps, plus any extras you want to snack on
Rice Krispies Cereal: I use 6 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal for this recipe, but have made them successfully with as little as 4 cups if you are running low!
Butter: We use 6 tablespoons of butter. Unsalted butter or salted butter both work fine. Be sure you slice the butter thin!
Rainbow Sprinkles: Honestly any bright color will work! I found some awesome rainbow mixes at Target that work perfect for this
How to Make Easter Peeps Rice Krispie Treats
You’re going to love how easy this recipe is. Perfect for bakes sales or Easter parties (or just to use up those leftover Peeps), the colorful rainbow colors are always a hit!
Spray a 9×13 casserole dish or pan with cooking spray, or grease with a thin coat of softened butter.
Layer the Easter Peeps in the bottom of the dish in whatever combination you would like.
Sprinkle the rice krispie cereal over the top of the Peeps in an even layer until everything is evenly coated.
Slice the butter into pieces and evenly spread them over the top of the rice cereal.
Pop into an oven preheated to 375 and bake dessert for 8 minutes.
Remove from the oven and stir up the entire mixture to combine the melty colors. Work quickly before the marshmallows begin to harden! If desired, after mixing up you can add pastel M&M candies and more sprinkles for extra pretty colors.
Gently press mixture down into the casserole dish and let the Rice Krispie treats cool for at least 1 hour before cutting. If you want thicker treats, remove them from the casserole dish and instead press the mixture into an 8×8 pan before allowing to cool.
Once cool and cut, store them for up to 1 week in a tightly sealed container (if your family doesn’t devour them first)!
Tips for the Best Easter Rice Krispie Treats
- Make sure your Peeps are fresh for best results. Don’t use an already opened bag, as I’ve found once they start to get hard they don’t melt as well.
- Pick the dark spots (eyes and nose) off of the Peeps before placing them in the pan. If you don’t, you’ll end up with black dots in your Easter Rice Krispie treats.
- Can’t find all the colors of Peeps marshmallows? Don’t worry! As long as you have at least 2 different colors plus the rainbow sprinkles, the recipe will still look beautiful.
- Use the full amount of butter. I know it feels like a lot, but it really does make the Peeps Rice Krispie Treats softer and chewier.
- After mixing up the melty mixture, don’t press it firmly into the pan. If you press too hard it actually can make the Rice Krispie Treats harder and crunchier. Personally, I’ve found most people prefer softer, chewier ones.
- For a fun twist, use Easter cookie cutters to make some fun shapes.
I use this recipe as a base for so many different holiday ones. My kids LOVE being able to own this dessert. They were in charge of assembling it for Easter this past year and were so proud of themselves. Kids of all ages will love this treat.
Feel free to experiment with what YOUR family loves. Try using Chocolate Rice Krispies Cereal with Oreos for a chocolatey dessert, or add pieces of Snickers, Reese’s Pieces, Peanut Butter Cups etc! This is great for leftover Easter candy too.
If you want brighter colors, you can also add into food coloring to these gooey treats before mixing them up.
If you find your Rice Krispie Treats are hard, you can soften them by placing them in the microwave for a few seconds before eating. To help prevent that from happening, be sure you’re pressing the warm mixture gently into the baking dish and storing the cut leftovers in an airtight container.
- 4 packages of Peeps
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 6 tbsp butter
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish or pan with cooking spray, or grease with a thin coat of softened butter.
- Layer the Easter Peeps in the bottom of the dish in whatever combination you would like.
- Sprinkle the rice cereal over the top of the Peeps until everything is evenly coated.
- Slice the butter into pieces and evenly spread them over the top of the rice cereal.
- Pop into an oven preheated to 375 and cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir up the entire mixture to combine the melty colors. Work quickly before the marshmallows begin to harden! If desired, after mixing up you can add pastel M&M candies and more sprinkles for extra pretty colors.
- Gently press the mixture down into the casserole dish and let the Rice Krispie treats cool for at least 1 hour before cutting. If you want thicker treats, remove them from the casserole dish and instead press the mixture into an 8x8 pan before allowing to cool.
- Once cool and cut, store them for up to 1 week in a tightly sealed container (if your family doesn’t devour them first)!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 97Total Fat: 3gSodium: 70mgCarbohydrates: 18gSugar: 9g
Adorable Peeps Rice Krispie Treats
This colorful Easter treat is a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen, and this take on the classic treat is sure to make them giggle. This fun Easter recipe has become one of our favorite desserts to make together.
You might also enjoy these recipes:
Did you try this recipe? Let me know with a comment and rating! 🤩 Your 5 star ratings and sweet comments help to support our family business, and help other readers as they create their dishes, too! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @funfamilymeals if you try this!