These delicious Keto Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are ready in 30 minutes or less! Try this low carb chicken enchilada bake as a twist for your next Taco Tuesday.
If you’ve been looking for an easy dinner that’s delicious AND low card, you’re in luck. Our family loves this Keto Sour Cream Enchiladas recipe. It’s loaded with sour cream, cream cheese, shredded chicken, green chiles and cheese, and is perfect for busy weeknights.
This easy recipe is truly a comfort meal, and tastes even better as leftovers the next day. These Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas can also be known as Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, as the star of the recipe is really the diced green chiles and green chile enchilada sauce.
I love pairing chicken with green chile enchilada sauce as it goes so well. What makes this recipe a little different is you’ll actually mix the sauce with the sour cream to create a creamy, delicious twist on this popular dish.
Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in Full disclosure here.
Ingredients Needed for Green Chile Sour Cream Enchiladas
To make this fast weeknight dinner the whole family will love, you’ll need just a few ingredients that you can pick up at your local grocery store on the way home. The complete recipe and measurements are available in a printable format below on the recipe card.
- Shredded Chicken: Just grab a rotisserie chicken, or shred leftover chicken breast you already have in your refrigerator.
- Softened Cream Cheese: Full fat cream cheese or reduced fat cream cheese both work great.
- Shredded Cheese: I used a Mexican blend for this, but Colby-jack cheese or shredded cheddar cheese would also be delicious
- Sour Cream: Full fat sour cream or reduced sour cream are both fine for this recipe
- Diced Green Chiles: These come in a can in the Mexican food aisle. If you can’t find the diced ones, just be sure to grab a can of mild ones and dice them yourself
- Green Enchilada Sauce: If you can’t find this, salsa verde or tomatillo salsa (green salsa) can also be substituted
- Tortillas: To make sure this recipe is keto, be sure to use tortillas that are specifically labeled as low carb.
How to Make Keto Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
This easy chicken enchilada bake is so simple to assemble!
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Make the filling by combining the shredded chicken, softened cream cheese, green chiles and shredded cheese in a large bowl. Set aside.
Make the creamy sour cream enchilada sauce by combining the sour cream and the green chile enchilada sauce. Mix well until completely combined and smooth.
Add ½ a cup of the sauce to the bottom of the baking dish, being sure to evenly spread it around to fully cover the casserole dish in a thin layer.
To make the enchiladas, spoon the chicken mixture into a tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place the enchilada in the casserole dish with the seam of the rolled tortilla facing down. Repeat until all of the chicken mixture has been used.
Pour the remaining green chile sour cream sauce over the top of the rolled enchiladas, and top with shredded cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and serve with additional sour cream, chopped green onion, avocado slices or a little fresh cilantro.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
You might also enjoy these recipes:
Tips for the Best Enchiladas
To make creating the chicken mixture easy, be sure to give the cream cheese time to soften on your countertop. Otherwise, it will be really difficult to mix it well and have the cream cheese evenly combined.
If you forget to take it out in advance, just pop the unwrapped cream cheese in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
Whisk the sour cream with the enchilada sauce to make sure it’s fully incorporated and mixed well. You can do this either by using a whisk, or a fork.
Don’t overfill the tortillas! If you fill them too much it will be hard to tightly wrap them, and the cooked enchiladas will fall apart when you try to remove them from the pan.
Speaking of tortillas, in order for this dish to work for the Keto diet you MUST use tortillas that are labeled as such. Mission, La Banderia and Ole all make low-carb tortillas that are available in most stores. Corn tortillas are delicious, as are flour tortillas, but neither are low in carbohydrates.
No additional seasonings, like taco seasoning, are needed for this to still be burst with yummy Mexican flavors. The secret is the green chile enchilada sauce! However, if you’d like you can try adding garlic powder, chili powder or onion powder next time.
Pair the keto chicken enchiladas with a low-carb side, like cauliflower rice, or enjoy them on their own, as they’re a filling, delicious meal in and of themselves.
Unlike traditional enchiladas made with red enchilada sauce, this recipe uses one made with green chilies as a base. You can substitute with red sauce, but the flavor will be different and might seem a little off.
Keto Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas can also be assembled ahead of time. After assembling the enchiladas, cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and place it in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
For best results, let it come to room temperature before placing it in the oven (about 15-20 minutes on the countertop). If you don’t have time, you might want to add an extra 5 minutes of bake time.
This dish can also be frozen. I recommend using a disposable casserole dish like this and covering the entire container tightly with a layer plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. When you’re ready to bake it, unwrap it fully and place the fully frozen casserole in the oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until completely cooked.
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles, diced
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8-10 burrito-sized low carb tortillas for rolling
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make the filling by combining 1 cup of the shredded chicken, softened cream cheese, green chiles and shredded cheese in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Make the creamy sour cream enchilada sauce by combining the sour cream and the green chile enchilada sauce. Mix well until completely combined and smooth.
- Add ½ a cup of the sauce to the bottom of the pan, being sure to evenly spread it around to fully cover the casserole dish in a thin layer.
- To make the enchiladas, spoon the chicken mixture into a tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place the enchilada in the casserole dish with the seam of the rolled tortilla facing down. Repeat until all of the chicken mixture has been used.
- Pour the remaining green chile sour cream sauce over the top of the rolled enchiladas, and top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and serve with additional sour cream, diced green onions or avocado slices.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Did you try this recipe? Let me know with a comment and rating! 🤩 Your 5 star ratings and sweet comments help to support our family business, and help other readers as they create their dishes, too! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @funfamilymeals if you try this!
Use the image below to pin this recipe to your Pinterest boards to make it easy to find again!